Medicine: Selection Criteria
The personal characteristics we look for in applicants to the A100 course (both the pre-clinical and clinical parts) are listed below.
Personal characteristics: suitability for medicine
- Empathy: ability and willingness to imagine the feelings of others and understand the reasons for the views of others
- Motivation: a reasonably well-informed and strong desire to practise medicine
- Communication: ability to make knowledge and ideas clear using language appropriate to the audience
- Honesty and integrity
- Ethical awareness
- Ability to work with others
- Capacity for sustained and intense work
- Alignment of individual values and behaviours with the values of the NHS Constitution.
- Problem-solving: critical thinking, analytical approach
- Intellectual curiosity: keenness to understand the reason for observations; depth; tendency to look for meaning; enthusiasm and curiosity in science
- Communication skills: willingness and ability to express clearly and effectively; ability to listen; compatibility with tutorial format