Cookies on this website

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you click 'Accept all cookies' we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies and you won't see this message again. If you click 'Reject all non-essential cookies' only necessary cookies providing core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility will be enabled. Click 'Find out more' for information on how to change your cookie settings.

So you want to work with Animals?

The use of animals in research is regulated under the Animals (Scientific Procedures) Act 1986.

Any procedure applied to a protected animal that may cause pain suffering distress or lasting harm is defined under the Act as a regulated procedure. Any regulated procedure must be part of a programme of work set out in a Project licence and can only be carried out by a person with a personal licence (referred to as a PIL for short).

To help you with Personal Licence application process we've created the chart below (you can download a copy of this here.)  This document is for guidance purposes only - if your situation is different or you have a question then please contact us.

If you would like further information about the training and exemption requirements, have a look at the Home Office Advice Note.

Chart of applying for personal licence process