A number of external scholarships are available that need to be applied for independently
For international applicants there are many generous external scholarships that you may be eligible for. It is recommended that you apply for these as this will increase your chances of securing funding.
The main University Funding site lists many of these external scholarships. There are several schemes specifically for clinically-qualified applicants.
Some of the major external scholarships relevant to Medical Sciences applicants are listed below.
- The National Institutes of Health Oxford-Cambridge Scholars Program funds US students to do a PhD at the NIH and Oxford.
- The NIH-Wellcome Trust Programme funds UK/EU students to do a PhD at both the NIH and Oxford.
- The Joint Skaggs Oxford Programme funds students to do a PhD at the Scripps Research Institute and Department of Biochemistry in Oxford.
- Rhodes Scholarships support student from a range of countries to study at Oxford.
- Commonwealth Scholarships fund students from Commonwealth countries.
- China Scholarship Council funds students from China.
- Croucher Scholarships fund students from Hong Kong.
The Alternative Guide to Postgraduate Funding is an external resource from 'GradFunding' which provides a database of alternative funding opportunities (for example, from charities and trusts) and advice about how to apply for them. The University has subscribed to the Guide, which can be accessed free of charge. Current Oxford students and staff can use their University email address to register for access to the Guide. Applicants who do not yet have a University email account should submit their details via this online request form in order to receive the Alternative Guide pin, which they can then use to register for the Guide.