Bayer Alliance in Woman's Health
The University of Oxford is collaborating with Bayer on a number of projects focused around Women’s Health.
About the Alliance
The 6 year Oxford-Bayer Alliance in Women's Health is a public-private partnership between the University of Oxford (one of the world’s leading universities) and Bayer AG (one of the largest pharmaceutical companies). The alliance has the specific aim of identifying and characterising novel drug targets for women’s unmet health needs in endometriosis, uterine fibroids and polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS).
The pathways and mechanisms underlying these conditions remain poorly understood. A comprehensive programme to dissect the disease-causing processes is being undertaken. An immense benefit to the alliance is the availability of scarce samples through the Oxford University Hospital Trust.
University of Oxford scientists leading the alliance include:
- Udo Opperman, Professor of Molecular Biology at the Botnar Research Centre, Nuffield Department of Orthopaedics, Rheumatology & Musculoskeletal Sciences and Centre for Medicine Discovery (Nuffield Department of Medicine)
- Krina Zondervan, Head of the Nuffield Department of Women’s Reproductive Health, Professor of Reproductive & Genomic Epidemiology, Co-director of the Endometriosis Care Centre.
- Cecilia Lindgren, Professor of Genomic Endocrinology & Metabolism, Nuffield Department of Women’s Reproductive Health
- Benedikt Kessler, Professor of Biochemistry and Mass Spectrometry, Target Discovery Institute and Centre for Medicine Discovery (Nuffield Department of Medicine)
- Adrian Harris, Professor of Medical Oncology, Department of Oncology
Support for the alliance
The alliance is governed by a two-layered structure, a working-body, the Joint Review Committee, and a decision-taking-body, the Joint Steering Committee, made up of scientists from both the University of Oxford and Bayer. This joint governance structure, streamlines research interests, allowing University and Bayer scientists to work collaboratively towards goals of mutual significance. Such science-driven collaboration ensures the longevity of the partnership, which has been running for over 6 years.
The Business Partnerships Office offers a single point of contact for the Oxford-Bayer Alliance in Women's Health. For all business enquiries about the collaboration, please contact Business Partnership Manager Oliver Voss. For all scientific enquiries, please contact Udo Opperman or Krina Zondervan.
Bayer is a global enterprise with core competencies in the life science fields of health care and nutrition and one of the Top 20 pharmaceutical companies world-wide. Bayer specialises in prescription products for oncology, cardiology, eye diseases and women’s healthcare. Bayer is collaborating with the University of Oxford, on a number of projects, focused around Women’s Health.