Planning, designing and critically appraising clinical research ONLINE
Communication Skills Research Skills
Tuesday, 17 November 2020 to Friday, 20 November 2020, 1pm - 4pmApply for this course
This live interactive online course consisting of two three hour sessions is suitable for all MSD postgraduate research students looking to plan and conduct plan and conduct reproducible clinical research projects.
You are expected to attend two sessions:
17 November @ 13:00 - 16:00
20 November @ 13:00 - 16:00
This course consists of two three hour live interactive online sessions that address the fundamentals of planning and conducting reproducible clinical research projects, aiming to give you a solid grounding in:
- How to turn a research idea into an answerable question
- Planning for success: involving patients, statisticians, and librarians to ensure your project is relevant, well formulated, and built on solid foundations; making the most of institutional resources and support with your research
- Principles and features of study design; choosing the appropriate design and methods to answer a research question
- Principles of statistical thinking and interpreting statistical results: sampling, inference, bias and uncertainty, interpreting effect estimates
- Reviewing medical literature: considerations when critically appraising clinical literature
Please make sure you read all of the sections below relating to how the course will work, and the survey and attendance certificate policy.
At the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Apply the key steps and methods to ensure your clinical research project is relevant, rigorous, and reproducible
- Understand basic statistical principles and how to interpret statistical results
- Undertake critical appraisal for clinical research.
HOW IT WILL WORK
Booking confirmation and reminder emails will send you the link for the live interactive sessions (held in Teams or Zoom) and joining instructions. To join the session, you can click on the link 15 minutes before the session. Once the tutor has started the session, they will tell you what to do.
This course is a series of interactive talks given by the course tutor. Within each talk there will be a practical element to participate in. Within My Resources in the booking system, a research paper will made available for the beginning of the course for discussion in the critical appraisal talk in the second session. A handout will also be provided for each respective talk, along with papers for further reading. All documents can be accessed from My Resources once you are booked on the course.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
A good internet connection, uninterrupted time, camera and microphone enabled on PC.
ATTENDANCE CERTIFICATE ON SURVEY COMPLETION
It is now a requirement that you complete the three short questions in the survey you receive after attending the course. Once you have submitted the survey, you will be sent an email with a link to your attendance certificate. This is to ensure we receive the feedback we need to evaluate and improve our courses. Survey results are downloaded and stored anonymously.
Where cost is marked £0 in the shopping trolley, no deposit is required. However, more than two consecutive non-attendances or late cancellations without good reason will be logged and may mean you cannot attend any further MSD training that term. Please refer to our Terms and Conditions for further information.