Large group and lecturing ONLINE
Career Development Communication Skills Research Skills Teaching Skills
Monday, 07 March 2022 to Friday, 18 March 2022, 9.30am - 9.30amApply for this course
This live online workshop delivered in four separate three-hour sessions and is suitable for MSD postgraduate research students and early career researchers looking to teach and wanting to learn the principles and practices of effective lecturing and group sessions.
You are expected to attend 4 sessions on the following days:
7 March @ 09:30 - 12:30
10 March @ 09:30 - 12:30
15 March @ 09:30 - 12:30
18 March @ 09:30 - 12:30
This series of four half-day live workshops delivered by Dr David Wilkinson will introduce you to the principles and practice of effective lecturing and small group teaching and how to engage students, develop critical thinking enhance their learning.
This course should prove to be of particular interest to anyone who has not lectured before but is faced with running lectures or teaching groups in the near future, has teaching experience and wants to improve their lecturing and teaching practice in a way that engages students and is interesting in running online sessions as well.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Plan lectures that promote learning and critical thinking
- Diagnose problems with lectures
- Engage students in active learning during a lecture
- Ask brilliant questions that engage students
- Develop the students ability to critically think
This course will cover:
- How to plan a lecture
- Dealing with problems during the lecture
- What active learning is and how to achieve it in a lecture situation
- How to get students involved and answering your questions
- Developing student critical thinking
- How to handle difficult questions
- How to relax and enjoy it!
UKPSF Dimensions that are typically explored in this course:
- A1. Design and plan learning activities and/or programmes of study
- A2. Teach and/or support learning
- A3. Give feedback to learners and formative assessment
- A4. Develop effective learning environments and approaches to student support and guidance
- K1. Subject material
- K2. Appropriate methods for teaching, learning and assessing in the subject area and at the level of the academic programme
- K3 How students learn, both generally and within their subject/disciplinary area(s)
NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS
HOW IT WILL WORK
This course has pre-course materials needed for reference in the session which can be accessed in the 'My Resources' section of the CoSY booking system. You can find the 'My Resources' section on the CoSY dashboard (landing page).
For the interactive session, you will be sent the link in the automated communication along with joining instructions. To join the session, you can click on the link 15 minutes before the session. Once the tutor has started the session they will tell you what to do.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
A good internet connection, uninterrupted time, camera and microphone enabled on your PC.
ATTENDANCE CERTIFICATE ON SURVEY COMPLETION
It is now a requirement that you complete the three short questions in the survey you receive after attending the course. Once you have submitted the survey, you will be sent an email with a link to your attendance certificate. This is to ensure we receive the feedback we need to evaluate and improve our courses. Survey results are downloaded and stored anonymously.
Where there is no cost in the shopping trolley, no deposit is required. However, two or more non-attendances or late cancellations without good reason will be logged and may mean you cannot attend any further MSD training that term. Please refer to our Terms and Conditions for further information.