How to change the world with research ONLINE
Wednesday, 11 May 2022 to Monday, 23 May 2022, 2pm - 3.30pmApply for this course
This online interactive training course is for MSD postgraduate researchers (from 2nd year DPhils onwards) who want to learn how to create non-academic impact from their research.
11 May @ 14:00 - 15:30
23 May @ 14:00 - 15:00
This course consists of a 90-minute live session followed by 2-3 hours of materials and exercises in Canvas before a 60-minute live follow-on session.
It will provide you with conceptual frameworks, strategies and practical tools to support you as you identify and try to drive opportunities to create non-academic impact from your research.
By the end of the course, you will have greater confidence in describing, testing, triaging (and occasionally rejecting) your ideas for how your work may create change. Training will be interactive and practical, with self-reflection embedded. It will use a mixture of live sessions and pre-recorded videos with set exercises, for which individual feedback will be provided.
Please note that this course is not suitable for 1st year DPhil students.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Explain why impact is important to society, the University and yourself
- Visualise different routes to impact such as policy, healthcare interventions, commercialisation of IP and others
- Map out the most likely type of impact pathway for your research, how it might be achieved and potential roadblocks
- Recognise how innovations need further translational work to be useful outside an academic setting
- Plan your own networking strategy and identify competitions, training and resources available to expand your knowledge
- Write a personal career and development objectives action plan.
HOW IT WILL WORK
This course will be delivered online via Teams. The initial session is 90 minutes, after which you will watch pre-recorded videos and complete some exercises, available via a self-enrolment link to Canvas. You will receive feedback from the tutor, and then attend a 60-minute group follow-on session.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
You will need a good internet connection, some uninterrupted time, and the camera and microphone enabled on your PC.
It is now a requirement that you complete the three short questions in the survey you receive after attending the course. Once you have submitted the survey, you will be sent an email with a link to your attendance certificate. This is to ensure we receive the feedback we need to evaluate and improve our courses. Survey results are downloaded and stored anonymously.
Where no cost is indicated in the shopping trolley, no deposit is required. However, two or more non-attendances or late cancellations without good reason will be logged and may mean you cannot attend any further MSD training that term. Please refer to our Terms and Conditions for further information.