Electron Cryo Microscopy in Structural Biology (5 day course)
Monday, 04 November 2019 to Friday, 08 November 2019, 9am - 5pmApply for this course
This MSD Skills training course runs over five full consecutive days and is suitable for all postgraduate research students and postdoctoral early career researchers using or planning to use cryo-EM.
Participants will be expected to attend sessions on the following dates:
4 November 2019 @ 09:00 - 17:00
5 November 2019 @ 09:00 - 17:00
6 November 2019 @ 09:00 - 17:00
7 November 2019 @ 09:00 - 17:00
8 November 2019 @ 09:00 - 17:00
After this course, you will be able to
- critically read scientific papers where cryo-EM has been applied
- prepare samples for EM imaging
- make informed decisions concerning the use of electron microscopes
- get started in practice with your own cryo-EM experiments
A series of lectures over five days, followed by four practical sessions.
The course programme will be released closer to the date.
1. The microscope and preparation of cryo and negative staining samples
2. Image formation and image processing
3. Reconstructing 3D density maps from 2D images
4. Fitting and building atomic models
5. Understanding cryo-EM literature
Maximum for lectures is 50.
Maximum places on the practical sessions is 16.
All interested research students and postdoctoral researchers are welcome and need to apply.
*PLEASE BRING YOUR OWN LUNCH*