Large group and lecturing ONLINE
Career Development Communication Skills Teaching Skills
Wednesday, 17 June 2020 to Thursday, 25 June 2020, 9.30am - 4pm
This online course is suitable for MSD researchers looking to teach and wanting to learn the principles and practices of effective lecturing and group sessions.
You are expected to attend 4 sessions on the following days:
17 June @ 09:30 - 12:30
19 June @ 09:30 - 12:30
24 June @ 09:30 - 12:30
26 June @ 09:30 - 12:30
This series of four half-day live workshops delivered by Dr. David Wilkinson will introduce you to the principles and practice of effective lecturing and small group teaching and how to engage students, develop critical thinking enhance their learning.
This course should prove to be of particular interest to anyone who has not lectured before but is faced with running lectures or teaching groups in the near future, has teaching experience and wants to improve their lecturing and teaching practice in a way that engages students and is interesting in running online sessions as well.
• What engages students
• How to plan a lecture
• Dealing with problems during the lecture
• What active learning is and how to achieve it in a lecture situation
• How to get students involved and answering your questions
Developing student critical thinking
• How to handle difficult questions
• How to relax and enjoy it!
On completion of this course, it is expected that you will be able to:
• Plan lectures that promote learning and critical thinking
• Diagnose problems with lectures
• Engage students in active learning during a lecture
• Ask brilliant questions that engage students
• Develop the students ability to critically think
UKPSF Dimensions that are typically explored in this course:
A1. Design and plan learning activities
and/or programmes of study
A2. Teach and/or support learning
A3. Give feedback to learners and formative assessment
A4. Develop effective learning
environments and approaches to
student support and guidance
K1. Subject material
K2. Appropriate methods for teaching,
learning and assessing in the subject
area and at the level of the
K3 How students learn, both
generally and within their subject/
Live online workshop delivered in four separate three-hour sessions in Zoom.
Try to make sure you have a good internet connection and uninterrupted time.
NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS