Introduction to statistics (Group B)
Monday, 24 February 2020 to Thursday, 12 March 2020, 1pm - 4pmApply for this course
This MSD Skills training course consists of four half-day sessions a week apart and is suitable for all MSD postgraduate research students and postdoctoral early career researchers using and interpreting statistical data. No prior statistical knowledge is needed.
Workshop participants will be expected to attend all four sessions:
24 February 2020 @ 13:00 - 16:00
4 March 2020 @ 13:00 - 16:00
9 March 2020 @ 13:00 - 16:00
12 March 2020 @ 13:00 - 16:00
Venue information for each session of this course is available in 'My Resources' in CoSY once you have booked on this course. Booking confirmation and course reminder emails will provide you with the link to 'My Resources'.
This course aims to provide researchers with a basic introduction to statistics, to ensure an understanding of the concepts of statistics that form the basis of computer statistics software, offering a stepping stone to attending more advanced statistics courses.
A workshop format with group work to consider the taught element of the course. Computers will not be used during the course. "Homework" study questions will be set to allow participants to work through problems in their own time between workshops - the course will run for four sessions, scheduled at weekly intervals.
The course will cover
- data distributions
- standard deviation and standard error
- sampling variations and statistical inference
- the null hypothesis and hypothesis testing
- statistical significance and confidence intervals
- relative risk and odds ratios
- chi-squared tests
- power calculations, of particular importance for researchers writing grant applications, incorporating what these are and what they can tell you
- the wilcoxon rank sum test
- anova - introduction, theory, interpretation of SPSS output correlations
- power calculations (moved from "busy" 3rd workshop)
Four morning or afternoon workshops, held weekly. Workshop participants will be expected to attend all four sessions.