MA (Oxon), MB BChir, MD (Cantab), FRCP, FRCPEdin, FRCPsych, FACLP
Professor of Psychological Medicine
- Fellow of Saint Cross College, Oxford.
- Honorary Consultant in Psychological Medicine
- Trust Lead in Psychological Medicine at Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and advisor to Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust.
- Honorary Professor, University of Edinburgh.
- Past-President, American Academy of Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry
- Vice-President, European Association of Psychosomatic Medicine
Psychiatric aspects of medical illness and treatment ; multi-morbidity; clinical trials
The aims of my group's research are to achieve a unified perspective on illness, that transcends the 'physical' versus 'mental' dichotomy.
We develop novel interventions to improve patient outcomes and evaluate these in rigorous clinical trials.
Our main current focus is complex multimorbidity. We are studying depression in people with medical conditions such as cancer and also how best to manage complex multi-morbidity in elderly medical inpatients (the HOME study).
In my clinical role, I am the Trust Lead for Psychological Medicine (advising on the psychiatric and psychological care of the medically ill) for Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
I am Past-President of the Academy of Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry (ACLP) which is based in the USA and Vice-President of the European Association of Psychosomatic Medicine (EAPM).