After two years of undergraduate training at the Semmelweis University in Budapest I studied medicine at the Freie Universität Berlin and briefly at the University of California San Francisco. In 1998 I received my MD from Berlin. I began my residency in obstetrics and gynaecology at the Charité Berlin in 1996 and received my full registration in 2003. During this time and again afterwards I spend a total of five years as a postdoctoral fellow jointly at Children's Hospital and Brigham and Women's Hospital Harvard Medical School in Boston. Under the guidance of Judah Folkman I began working on angiogenesis and antiangiogenic therapy first in various cancer models and later in endometriosis. In late 2005 I joined the Nuffield Department of Obstetrics and Gynaeology in Oxford first as a Clinical Fellow and then as a Clinical Lecturer and Subspecialist Trainee in Reproductive Medicine and Surgery. In 2009 I became a Senior Lecturer in Reproductive Medicine and a Honorary Consultant Gynaecologist at the Women's Centre of the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford. In 2013 I became Associate Professor and recently I was appointed as Professor of Reproductive Sciences.
I am the Chairperson of the Guideline Development Group of the ESHRE (European Society for Human Reproduction and Embryology) Guideline for the Management of Women with Endometriosis. I am also a member of the current NICE Guideline Committe for Endometriosis.
Together with Prof Krina Zondervan I co-direct the Endometriosis CaRe Centre in Oxford which we founded in 2013. Our focus is to improve the genetic and molecular understanding of gynaecological conditions including endometriosis, adenomyosis, PCOS, and uterine fibroids and their associated clinical signs and symptoms.
Clinically, I am the Lead for the Endometriosis, Pelvic Pain, Infertility adn Adolescent Gynaecology Services at the Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust where I regualrly treat patients in clinic and in the operating theatre. Together with my NHS colleagues, I am part of the Children and Young Adult Tissue Preservation Team helping patients with cancer and some benign diseases to preserve their fertility for the future.
Phone: 01865 231571
Christian M. Becker
Professor of Reproductive Sciences
- Co-Director Oxford Endometriosis CaRe Centre
- Principal Investigator
- Consultant Gynaecologist & Subspecialist in Reproductive Medicine
- Clinical Lead Oxford BSGE Endometriosis Centre, Adolescent Gynaecology, Pelvic Pain, Infertility Services at Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
My research as well as my clinical work focuses on endometriosis, a common disease in women mostly of reproductive age, which is associated with abdominal pain and subfertility. Together with Krina Zondervan I direct the Oxford Endometriosis CaRe Centre, a unique approach to combine excellent and compassionate clinical care with cutting-edge, collaborative research in endometriosis. As Clinical Lead for the Oxford BSGE Endometriosis Centre, one of the largest tertiary referral centres in the UK, I have the great opportunity to work together with a wonderful team of highly dedicated nurses, doctors, and administrators with the aim to improve the situation for many women and their partners affected by the disease. I am very grateful that many women chose to donate biological samples and share their clinical history with us which enables us to do basic and translational research studies for a change in the future.
Current Research Studies:
- Identification of potential biomarkers of endometriosis
- Improving the categorisation of endometriosis
- Target discovery leading to novel, more individualised management
Current Clinical Studies:
- PRE-EMPT Trial (Preventing Recurrence of Endometriosis by Means of long acting Progestogen Therapy; local PI)
- EndOx Study (Biorepository of anonymised biological samples and clinical data from women with endometriosis and controls); Co-PI with Krina Zondervan)
- ENDOPAIN Study (Identifying predictors of response to surgical treatment of endometriosis-associated pain; Co-PI with Katy Vincent)
Kelly Barrett, Lisa Buck
Phone: +44 1865 220011
Phone: +44 1865 5772258
MARKERS OF ESTEEM
- Member for NICE Endometriosis Guideline Development Group 2023
- Chair ESHRE Guideline Development Group Endometriosis
- Expert Witness for NICE Endometriosis Guideline Development Group 2017
- Steering Group Member of Priority Setting Partnership for Endometriosis, The James Lind Alliance
- Steering Committee Member, UCON Trial
- Oxford Reproductive Medicine Subspecialty Training Programme Supervisor
- Lead Gynaecological Surgeon for Oxford Ovarian Cryopreservation Service
- WERF EPHect Core Group Member
- Endometriosis UK Medical Advisory Panel
- Organiser RCOG Course: Science for Subspecialties
- Grant Reviewer for multiple national and international councils
- Reviewer for multiple peer-reviewed medical journals
- Editorial Board Current Angiogenesis
- Reviewer NHS Map of Medicine for Endometriosis
- Consultant of the Year (2010), Women’s Centre, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford
- Teacher of the Month (2009), Year 5 Medical Students, University of Oxford