John Fell Fund
This is a University of Oxford fund intended to foster creativity and a proactive approach to research opportunities in all subject areas, and particularly interdisciplinary fields. It will make seed corn and start-up grants, and provide funds to stimulate applications to external funding bodies.
- The John Fell Fund has three termly rounds of Main and Small Award applications.
- In addition, the Division is allocated a separate annual funding stream; this is used to support Divisional strategic initiatives
Please see the University John Fell Fund website for termly deadlines for Main and Small Award applications. Your department may have an internal process ahead of the advertised deadline so please check their procedure before you start writing your application.
- All applications to the John Fell Fund must be submitted via the online application form. Applications must be approved by the department before the deadline to progress to the next stage. For prospective category f applications, please speak to the JFF Medical Sciences Divisional contact, Leila Whitworth.
- The Divisional John Fell Fund review committee is made up of 10 senior academics from across the division and is chaired by the Associate Head (Research). The proposals are reviewed, scored and ranked.
- The Division makes recommendations to the University John Fell Fund Committee:
- Small Award applications are dealt with by the Chair of the University Fell Fund Committee by Chair’s action.
- Main Award applications are considered alongside applications from all Divisions and service departments at the termly University Fell Fund Committee meetings.
- The John Fell Fund administration (located in the University Planning and Resource Allocation Section) provide letters to each applicant on the outcome of their application and deal with the administration of awards, including extensions to awards and reporting.
John Fell Fund Medical Sciences Sub-Committee
Chair: Professor Matthew Wood
Secretary: Leila Whitworth
Professor Raymond Fitzpatrick
Professor Antony Galione
Professor Georg Hollander
Professor Chris O'Callaghan
Professor Elizabeth Robertson
Professor Alison Simmons
Professor Kevin Talbot