At any one time the University of Oxford sponsors around 1,000 academic designed and led clinical research studies within the EU of which about 150 are interventional trials ranging from phase I to phase IV. The University sponsors approximately 350 further studies outside the EU, largely through its Centre for Tropical Medicine and Global Health.
Often in partnership with Oxford University Hospitals Foundation NHS Trust or Oxford Health Foundation NHS Trust most of the EU-based studies are run by one of the University’s six UKCRC fully registered specialist clinical trials units:
- Clinical Trial Service Unit and Epidemiological Studies Unit specializing in major large scale studies and trials of chronic disease;
- Diabetes Trials Unit national and multinational trials of the management and treatment of diabetes;
- Oxford Clinical Trials Research Unit which integrates the following trials groups:
- Centre for Statistics in Medicine
- Critical Care, Trauma and Rehabilitation Trials Group
- Gastroenterology Trials Group
- Oncology Clinical Trials Office (all phases)
- Respiratory Trials Unit
- Surgical Intervention Trials Unit
- NPEU Clinical Trials Unit conducts multicentre trials of a broad range of interventions for women and their families during pregnancy, childbirth, the newborn period and early childhood;
- Primary Care and Vaccines Collaborative Clinical Trials Unit which integrates the Primary Care Trials Unit and the Oxford Vaccine Group
c. 1,000 academic designed and led clinical research studies within the EU
Approximately 350 further studies outside the EU
Clinical Trials News
23 October 2020
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has today authorised a restart of clinical trials of the ChAdOx1 nCov-2019 Oxford coronavirus vaccine in the USA following the trials restarting in the UK, Brazil, South Africa and Japan.
22 October 2020
A team at Bristol University has used recently developed techniques to validate that the vaccine accurately follows the genetic instructions programmed into it by the Oxford team.
Britain’s most influential Hindu temple spreads awareness of the PRINCIPLE trial among Indian Community
21 October 2020
Europe’s BAPS Swaminarayan Sanstha is supporting their community during the coronavirus pandemic by spreading awareness of the PRINCIPLE trial of Covid-19 treatments.