Supervision and teaching
I actively engage in supervision at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels, this includes several DPhil students within the Department and MSc students within the Evidence-Based Healthcare program.
Kamal R. Mahtani
BSc PhD MBBS PGDip FRCGP
Professor of Evidence Based Healthcare
- Research group lead (Health Services Research)
- Director, MSc EBHC (Systematic Reviews)
- Academic Director, MSc Global Healthcare Leadership
- Fellow, Kellogg College
- Fellow, Royal College of General Practitioners
I am an Oxfordshire GP and have been involved in clinical academic primary care for over 10 years. I lead a group within the Centre for Evidence Based Medicine.
I lead a research group with interests that focuses broadly on:
- Health Services Research - such as increasing the evidence base to support the redesign of future primary care (including the role for social prescribing in the community)
- Assessment of novel technologies to improve patient-centred chronic disease management
- Improving the understanding and use of evidence, particularly systematic reviews, in knowledge translation
I work collaboratively with other researchers at a local, national and international level.
I am a member of the Catalogue of Bias team.
My work was recognised nationally by the 2016 RCGP/SAPC Yvonne Carter Award for outstanding new researcher.
In 2019, the Royal College of General Practitioners awarded me Fellowship status of the college.
In 2020, I was awarded the RCGP/SAPC John Fry award for promoting the discipline of general practice through research and publishing.
A list of my publications can be found here.
Teaching and training
I am the Director of the MSc Evidence Based Health Care (Systematic Reviews). I am also the lead tutor of the Complex Reviews MSc module, which seeks to provide training in the broader forms of evidence synthesis.
I am a tutor on the internationally renowned Teaching Evidence Based Medicine course.
I am also the lead tutor for EBM teaching in the Graduate Entry Medical School.
I was the Clinical Lead for the Oxford AHSN Evidence-Based Healthcare Fellowship program developing and supporting clinical leaders across the Thames Valley.
- Chair NIHR HTA Prioritisation Committee A
Clinical editor at The Cochrane Tobacco Addiction Group.
- Associate Editor BMJ Evidence Based Medicine
Fellow of Kellogg College
I have received funding to conduct research from the NHS National Institute for Health Research. I have also had funding from the RCGP to conduct independent research. I was also a voluntary (unpaid) member of the Royal College of General Practitioners (RCGP) Physical Activity and Lifestyle clinical priority steering committee. I have no other COI to declare.