CBE MD FRCPsych FRCP(E) FRSA PFHEA
Professor of Psychiatry & Hon. Consultant Psychiatrist
- Director Synergi Collaborative Centre
- Director World Psychiatric Association Collaborating Centre
- Co-Director Centre for Understanding Personality (CUSP)
- Editor in Chief British, Journal of Psychiatry
- Chair, Publications Management Board and Member of Council RCPsych
- Chair, External Scientific Reference Group (Public Health England, PHE)
- Trustee, Centre for Mental Health
- Clin. Academic Advisor PHE
- Hon Professor QMUL
- Hon Consultant Psychiatrist East London NHS Foundation Trust
- Hon Member World Psychiatric Association
Cultural Epidemiology-Cultural Psychiatry-Multimorbditiy-Ethnicity-Health Services-Public Mental Health
Research, Policy and Practice
Research Priorities: Multimorbidity, Ethnicity, Health Inequalities, Complex Interventions
Policy and Practice: Health Services Research and Improvement, Public Mental Health: Preventive Psychiatry and Adolescent Mental Health
Culture, Brain & Mind: research and policy
- Ethnic inequalities in the experiences and outcomes of severe mental illnesses, including understanding the role of societal, institutional and interpersonal discrimination and racism as drivers of poor health and their relevance for therapeutics.
- Adolescent Mental Health: Developing life skills and problem solving interventions for young people in India and Kenya and investigating cultural and social aspects of risk and resiliency in population prevention.
- Extremism and Mental Illness: Investigating public health models of prevention and policy.
- Understanding the role of adversity, ACEs, and inflammation in depression and multimorbidity.
I research socio-cultural risk and protective factors, to prevent and reduce inequalities in population mental health & suicide. I am especially interested in understanding the drivers of health inequalities, including by ethnicity and gender, and developing preventive actions in populations through policy and practice. I deploy novel anthropological, sociological & epidemiological research methods to optimise quality, safety & improve access to treatments. My academic work contributes to prevention, reducing inequalities, building capacity, engaging the public, and addressing stigma to improve outcomes.
I established an international Centre of Excellence on cultural psychiatry practice, research and teaching. This includes a clinical cultural consultation service working with commissioners, clinicians, and third sector partners to ensure prevention & effective recovery (see http://www.culturalconsultation.org.uk/). I currently lead the Synergi Collaborative Centre (https://synergicollaborativecentre.co.uk/) a national partnership to understand and tackle ethnic inequalities in severe mental illness working with the University of Manchester and Word of Colour, a communications agency. This collaborative brings together patient, public and professional narratives and agency to promote a place based style of collaborative leadership to embed systems change as the necessary process to tackle structural disadvantage. The centre seeks to transform Health Systems and inequalities (e.g. use of the Mental Health Act). The collaborative has won a national Guardian New Radicals Award, QMUL community engagement awards, and QMUL Innovations Award.
New research focuses on 1) studies of inflammation and depression in chronic disease, dementia, and multi morbidity; 2) Preventing and responding to ACEs by interdisciplinary research on social, cultural and arts based methods and interventions.