Cookies on this website

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you click 'Accept all cookies' we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies and you won't see this message again. If you click 'Reject all non-essential cookies' only necessary cookies providing core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility will be enabled. Click 'Find out more' for information on how to change your cookie settings.

Applications are invited from academic and research staff for funding to support the development of their research career following a break in their career or a period of leave for caring responsibilities. This can include maternity, adoption and shared parental leave, or leave to care for an ill, disabled or elderly family member.

The scheme is open to all members of academic and research staff employed by the University, including those holding joint appointments, but excluding those who have achieved full professorial title or who hold statutory chairs. The scheme is not open to members of staff with college-only contracts.

The scheme is open to all those who, at the closing date for applications:

  • are currently on leave for a minimum of six months;
  • have returned from a break of at least six months within the last two years (at ANY institution); or
  • have returned from two breaks each of at least six months within the last five years.

A break may comprise two or more discontinuous periods of leave totalling at least six months provided that they relate to a single life event, e.g. as part of a shared parental leave arrangement.

If you are concerned that you do not meet the eligibility criteria or you narrowly miss, please speak to your divisional contact.

Only one application may be made per career break.

Those on a fixed-term contract should hold a contract of employment for a sufficient period beyond the date of their application to permit the grant to be spent and to have an impact that increases the likelihood of them securing a new contract; the application should give evidence of being on a research or academic career trajectory and clearly outline any future career plans; applicants may submit a supporting statement from their supervisor if they wish to do so.

Applications must be signed by the staff member’s supervisor, Head of Department or Faculty Board Chair and by their Departmental or Faculty Administrator to confirm that a) the department/faculty supports the application, and b) the applicant is eligible for funding, as per the above criteria.

Applications for funding of college buy-outs must be discussed and agreed with the college before the application is submitted.