Key facts about Broadening Horizons
- Broadening Horizons is a cross-sector mentoring programme, matching industry mentors and academic institution mentees together in mentoring partnerships;
- The programme aims to support early-career researchers to engage in the translation of their research and/or consider translational career pathways in academia or industry – specifically focussed on health;
- It is a twelve-month programme, structured around three key events - the launch, progress, and celebration close event;
- The programme is being seed-funded by the Wellcome Trust, and is being delivered by mentoring and development experts, Moving Ahead. Since 2014, Moving Ahead has supported more than 30,000 individuals.
The programme launches for its inaugural year in November 2020. The University has been invited to put forward five mentees for the first year.
For more information about the programme, including key dates, please download the Information Pack.
What are the benefits?
- Development of skills, knowledge and confidence through a structured mentoring relationship;
- Support to take control of your career and be inspired;
- Exposure to a community of like-minded individuals, expanding your network whilst also developing networking skills.
As a mentee, your commitment is to:
Attend your mentoring meetings, a minimum of four to six meetings across the twelve-month programme
- Bring enthusiasm and commitment to the mentoring partnership;
- Be open minded in learning about someone else's journey and the skills and challenges they have found along the way;
- Have the courage to speak openly about what you want to gain from the programme and your wider career - make sure you get everything out of the programme that you possibly can.