MA (Oxon), MB BChir, MD (Cantab), FRCP, FRCPEdin, FRCPsych, FACLP
Professor of Psychological Medicine
- Director Oxford Psychological Medicine Centre
- Fellow of Saint Cross College, Oxford.
- Honorary Consultant in Psychological Medicine
- Trust Lead in Psychological Medicine at Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and advisor to Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust.
- Honorary Professor, University of Edinburgh.
- Past-President, American Academy of Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry
- Vice-President, European Association of Psychosomatic Medicine
Psychiatric aspects of medical illness and treatment ; multi-morbidity; clinical trials
Our research aims to achieve a unified whole person perspective on illness and health, that transcends the 'physical' versus 'mental' dichotomy.
We aim to improve health by developing and evaluating novel interventions that are integrated into the patient's medical care.
Our current work focuses on depression in people with medical conditions such as cancer and on complex multi-morbidity in elderly medical inpatients (the HOME study).
In my clinical role, I am the Trust-wide Lead for Psychological Medicine (leading psychiatric and psychological care of the medically ill for Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
I am Vice-President of the European Association of Psychosomatic Medicine and a past-President of the Academy of Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry (ACLP) which is based in the USA.