MA (Oxon), MB BChir, MD (Cantab), FRCP, FRCPEdin, FRCPsych, FACLP
Professor of Psychological Medicine
- Fellow of Saint Cross College, Oxford.
- Honorary Consultant in Psychological Medicine and Trust Lead in Psychological Medicine at Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and advisor to Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust.
- Honorary Professor, University of Edinburgh.
- NIHR Senior Investigator
- President-Elect, Academy of Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry
- Vice-President, European Association of Psychosomatic Medicine
Psychiatric aspects of medical illness and treatment
My research aims to understand the psychiatric and psychological aspects of medical illnesses, to develop novel interventions that are integrated with medical care and to evaluate these in rigorous clinical trials.
My current interests are in developing integrated medical-psychiatric treatments and services especially for people with depression co-morbid with medical conditions such as cancer and for the better management of psychiatric multi-morbidity in elderly medical inpatients.
My clinical role is as consultant psychiatrist and Trust Lead for Psychological Medicine in Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
I am a Fellow of the Royal Colleges of Physicians of London and Edinburgh and a Fellow of the UK Royal College of Psychiatrists. I am also a Fellow of the Academy of Consultation Liaison Psychiatry.
I serve as President-Elect of the Academy of Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry (ACLP) which is based in the USA and as a Vice-President of the European Association of Psychosomatic Medicine (EAPM).
I am theme lead for medical-psychiatric multi-morbidity in the Oxford NIHR Collaboration for Leadership in Applied Health Research and Care (CLAHRC) and a named investigator in both Oxford Biomedical Research Centres (BRCs).