I divide my time between being a BRC Senior Fellow in Fetal Medicine at the Nuffield Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, and Consultant in Fetal Medicine and Obstetrics at St George's Healthcare NHS Trust in London. I obtained my medical degree at the University of Sheffield. I undertook my MD thesis at the University of London, on the prediction of pre-eclampsia using uterine artery Doppler. During this time I was a Research Fellow at the Harris Birthright Research Centre for Fetal Medicine. Following this I completed my specialisation in Obstetrics and Gynaecology, and undertook subspecialist training in Maternal and Fetal Medicine while a lecturer at St George's, University of London. My clinical and research interests include obstetric ultrasound, normal and abnormal fetal growth, pre-eclampsia and fetal diagnosis and treatment.
Director of Clinical Research (OMPHI) & Associate Professor
latest paper"Maternal gestational vitamin D supplementation and off spring bone health (MAVIDOS): a multicentre, double-blind, randomised placebo-controlled trial".
(The Lancet, 1st March 2016)
Research interests include:
- Ultrasound in the assessment of early human growth.
- Normal and abnormal fetal growth in single and multiple pregnancies.
- Fetal growth restriction — screening and management.
- Pathology of abnormal placentation.
- Multiple pregnancy management and therapy.
- Fetal cardiovascular changes during labour.
- Management strategies in massive postpartum haemorrhage.
Research methods include:
- Population based studies
- Cohort studies
- Case control studies
- Systematic reviews
Sources of Funding
- Gates Foundation
- Wellcome Trust