MSD Feedback system, Electives Explorer & Feedback Gets Results and more...
MSD Feedback System
This web-based feedback system was developed in 2004 when neither WebLearn nor existing third-party tools provided the functionality required by many of the MSD’s courses to collect feedback online. In most situations, the MSD Feedback System has now been superseded by the WebLearn Survey Tool and we have therefore ceased actively developing the system. However, there are still a number of scenarios in which the MSD Feedback system is a better, or the only, choice:
- Where you wish to allow students to answer the same group of questions (e.g various questions about their experience in a hospital) about multiple hospitals when students may have visited an unknown number - one to three, or more.
- Where you wish to show or hide one or more questions according to the answer given to a previous question. For example, there is no point asking students numerous questions about their meat buying and preparation habits if they have already indicated that they are vegetarian.
- Where you wish to collect feedback for Feedback Gets Results or the Electives Explorer, both of which depend upon the MSD Feedback System.
Try it yourself
Demonstration of Survey System Features (Oxford SSO required)
New Report Tool
To allow users to create richer reports within the feedback system, particularly for returning elective students, we have introduced an improved report-writing tool (CKEditor with CKFinder, for those interested in the technical details). To help users get started with these we have created a one page-how to guide and a short (homemade) video:
A few tips and tricks for creating rich reports using the new report tool (CKEditor) in the Medical Sciences Division survey system, covering images, working with large reports, printing and pasting from MS Word.
- Built on top of the MSD Feedback System, Electives Explorer:Collects mandatory feedback and a 500-word report from students when they return from their elective placements in year 6 of the Medicine course – this uses standard features of the MSD Feedback System.
- Allows students (in year 5) planning their electives to view previous students’ feedback on their electives. Students can search either simply by country or by features such as specialties offered.
With the phasing out of the MSD Feedback System, we are looking at other ways of providing this functionality.
Feedback gets results
Recognising the problems of persuading a satisfactory proportion of students to provide feedback on a course, in 2007 MSDLT commissioned the old Academic Computing Development Team at Oxford University Computing Services (now IT Services) to develop Feedback Gets Results (FGR). The system:
- Automatically notifies students by email that an administrator has made data about them (usually assessment results, uploaded as an Excel spreahsheet) available to them on the FGR website and provides a link from which students may access them.
- Optionally, requires that students complete the relevant online feedback form (delivered via the MSD Feedback System) before being allowed to access their data.
Feedback really does get results! - Administrator, 2008FGR is used to achieve 100% feedback rates by the Obstetrics & Gyanecology and Paediatrics rotations on the Clinical Medicine course.