In 2017 the Medical Sciences Teaching Excellence Awards scheme invited applications / nominations in the following categories:
- Project Awards - provide funding for proposals to support the development of education.
- Major Educator (funded) - Awarded to individuals who make an outstanding contribution to the development of education and/or leadership in education and/or other educational initiatives, within the Medical Sciences Division or at institutional level
- Excellent Teacher (titular) - Awarded to individuals who provide excellent teaching
- Early Career Excellent Teacher (titular) - Awarded to individuals who provide excellent teaching and who are within the first five years of their career as a University/NHS teacher (i.e. have no prior or otherwise demonstrable experience as a teacher in other sectors/from other institutions)
- Learning Support (funded) - Awarded to non-teaching staff who have made a contribution to supporting teaching and learning activities significantly beyond that which would normally be expected in their role.
- Awarded for continued excellent contributions made by previous recipients of Excellent Teacher awards who reapply or who are renominated
- To reward high quality contributions to teaching.
The Selection Panel reserves the right to redistribute applications/nominations to different categories.