Useful links for MSD researchers to further information, resources, skills and career development opportunities.
There are numerous other opportunities to develop skills both within and outside the University. Researchers should take full advantage of these opportunities, resources and information available.
Research best practice
- Research integrity checklist - essential research integrity steps and guidance for research students and their supervisors with links to further information on research integrity and good practice in research.
- Reproducible Research Oxford (RROx) - A University-wide initiative to advance the open research agenda at Oxford, with events, initiatives and resource relating to reproducibility in Oxford.
- The Oxford Reproducibility School - a series of talks on robust research practices in psychology and the biomedical sciences, held in Oxford in 2017.
- Publication and authorship - The University's guidance on best practice for researchers in publishing and authorship.
- An introduction to achieving policy impact for early career researchers - a useful article for those who need to demonstrate the real world tangible impact on policy arising from their scientific research.
Career development and job opportunities
- University Careers Service - for guidance on careers options and development of skills for all students and staff members.
- Internship schemes at the Academy of Medical Sciences.
- Enterprising Oxford - support for entrepreneurship activity.
- Jobs.ac.uk - links to jobs in the HE sector. Search jobs in science, research, academic and related employment in the UK and abroad. Subscribe to Jobs by Email for vacancies in universities, FE colleges, research institutions, commercial and public sector bodies, schools and charities.
- Staff Gateway - information, training and development for staff working at the University.
- Vitae - researcher professional development.
- Policy internships for MRC students.
Other training opportunities
- Activities and links related to educational development: CTL
- Activities and links related to professional development: POD
- University Department for Continuing Education - The Department for Continuing Education offers courses covering a wide range of subjects, and many of them lead to university qualifications. Provision is made for individuals, organisations, and professional groups. Courses are offered on a part-time basis, online, or in the form of short courses (one day to several weeks and residential summer schools).
- Public engagement with research training - information on free training arranged jointly by MSD and MPLS, and links to other public engagement with research training in the University.
- Life Coaching - a directory for various types of life coaching.
- Skills Hub - a WebLearn page supplying links to other departments offering training opportunities in the University.
- Seminar series at Nuffield Department of Medicine - dates and descriptions of seminars hosted by NDM open to members of the University.
- EQUATOR Lightning Workshops in Oxford - monthly one hour practical workshops on writing and publishing your academic research. Run by the EQUATOR network at the Botnar Research Centre.
- Online training for clinical researchers - an online course covering the key issues necessary to ensure that clinical trials comply with standards of good clinical practice.
- MRI Graduate Programme - a set of courses designed to teach new researchers the theory and practice of MRI neuroimaging.
- Bodleian iSkills - free skills workshops for researchers. Booking essential.
- RDM Learning and Development Programme - limited number of places available to other members of MSD once RDM staff and students have booked places.
- IT Learning Centre offer a range of face-to-face and online courses, as well as access to a library of online, video-based training and online resources from workshops via Molly.
- Academic English at the Language Centre - courses to help international student and staff improve their academic written and spoken communication.
- Research Ethics Online Training - quiz based course from the Global Health Network that issues a certificate based on achieving the pass mark.
Other research resources
- Biomedical & Life Sciences Collection - Henry Stewart Talks - a range of lectures by leading world experts. Click on Login and select 'by organisation' to access the full collection via your SSO.
- Oxford e-Research Centre (OeRC) works with research units across the whole of Oxford University to enable the use and development of innovative computational and information technology in multidisciplinary collaborations
- Mathcentre - this is an online mathematics resource drop-in centre.
- Research Data Management Induction Resources - presentations and resources giving a brief introduction to research data management.
- The Experimental Design Assistant - a free online tool from the NC3Rs, designed to guide researchers through the design of their experiments, helping to ensure that they use the minimum number of animals consistent with their scientific objectives, methods to reduce subjective bias, and appropriate statistical analysis.
- Research Skills Toolkit for Medical Sciences Division - training covering a range of IT and library tools and services to support your research. Runs in Hilary Term. Task instructions and materials available to download from the linked content.
- Research Design Service - research design and methodological support to health and social care researchers across England to develop grant applications to the NIHR and other national peer reviewed funding programmes.