Writing your transfer report ONLINE
Communication Skills Research Skills
Thursday, 18 June 2020, 2pm to 3pm
COURSE FULL This online MSD Skills training course is for first-year DPhil students preparing to write their transfer report.
This interactive online MSD Skills training course is most suitable for first-year DPhil students in their second or third term who are preparing to write their transfer report. Those in their first term are likely to find many of the exercises are still unhelpful. It complements the course 'How to prepare for a successful transfer of status’.
This course is made up of both pre-recorded material and a live session (1 hour). You will need to have viewed the pre-recorded materials before the live session. You can choose whether to work through the suggested exercises before the live session. Most of the course content described below will be presented only in the pre-recorded material, with the live session used for exercises, discussion, and clarification. You will be given access to the course Canvas space with the pre-recorded content as soon as your booking is confirmed.
Please allow at least 3 hours to view the pre-recorded material and complete the suggested exercises. Depending on how far you are in writing your report, you might find that you want to spend quite a bit more time on the exercises.
We’ll cover how to plan, write, and revise your transfer report. Each lesson is supported by examples and suggested exercises, drawing on your research thus far and your plans for the rest of your DPhil.
1. Planning the transfer report
• Figuring out your overall message
• Deciding a structure and outline that supports your message
• Communicating with your supervisor about how and when to request feedback
2. Writing the transfer report
• Strategies for writing and overcoming pain points
• Tips for the content of each report section (abstract, introduction, methods, results, discussion, proposal)
3. Revising the transfer report
• Editing your work from rough draft to simple, clear, and complete final report
• Strategies for requesting, coping with, and incorporating feedback
After this course, you will:
- Find your transfer story – while meeting transfer aims
- Develop an outline of your transfer report for discussion with your supervisor
- Feel ready to write each report section
- Be confident in revising and applying feedback
This online course consists of a series of pre-recorded talks and exercises in Canvas, followed by an interactive 1-hour live session. Most of the course content will be presented only in the pre-recorded material, with the live session used for exercises, discussion, and clarification. You can submit your questions and discussion points ahead of the live session through Canvas.
You will need to be logged in via SSO to access the pre-work and join the interactive session.
You will need a good internet connection and uninterrupted time for both the pre-work and live sections of the course. The pre-recorded materials are broken into short videos (2-12min), to make it easier for you to fit this course around other commitments.
For the live session, you can choose whether to join using audio and visual, just audio, or text chat. Live sessions will not be recorded.
We don't have an automated communications workflow set up for this course, but we will do our best to send booking acknowledgement and reminder emails as quickly as possible.
As there is pre-work associated with this course, we have switched off the waiting list. If the course is full, it is worth checking back a day or so later in case cancellation places become available.
NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS