Writing a transfer report
Communication Skills Research Skills
Friday, 17 January 2020, 9.30am to 1pmApply for this course
This MSD Skills half-day classroom based training course is most suited to DPhil students at the end of their first year preparing to write a transfer report.
This course has pre-course material. Booking confirmation and course reminder emails will provide you with the link to 'My Resources' section of CoSY to access this.
This workshop aims to help you develop the skills and knowledge you need to confidently write your transfer report, with the support of your supervisor(s) and peers. By the end of this workshop, we expect you to
- Have developed a first outline of your transfer report for discussion with your supervisor
- Feel ready to set and stick to a writing timetable
- Be confident in editing and applying feedback
This interactive workshop will use talks, discussion, and written exercises, drawing on participants’ own research thus far and plans for the rest of their DPhil. Participants are expected to have already developed a rough research question.
This course complements our Transfer of status course. We’ll cover three main areas:
1. Planning the transfer report
- Figuring out your overall message
- Deciding on a structure and outline that supports your message
- Gathering the information you need before you start writing
- Communicating with your supervisor about how and when to request feedback
2. Writing the transfer report
- Creating a writing timetable
- Strategies for writing
- Tips for the content of each report section
3. Polishing the transfer report
- Editing your work from rough draft to simple, clear, and complete final report
- Strategies for requesting, coping with, and incorporating feedback
NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS