Synthesising qualitative research made simple ONLINE
Friday, 04 March 2022 to Friday, 11 March 2022, 9.30am - 11.30amApply for this course
This course is accessible and relevant to qualitative and quantitative Medical Sciences Division postgraduate researchers who want to learn more about synthesising qualitative research with a view to undertaking or utilising QES in their study or work. The course leader (Dr Francine Toye) had published and presented internationally in this area. Her aim is to demystify qualitative research, and to make it accessible and valuable for improved healthcare.
You are expected to attend two sessions and complete pre-work in Canvas before each session
4 March @ 09:30 - 11:30
11 March @ 09:30 - 11:30
Qualitative evidence synthesis (QES) aims to bring together qualitative research findings in order to increase understanding of a particular experience. The course will help researchers to understand the fundamentals of how to search, appraise and analyse qualitative research into a qualitative evidence synthesis, and to be aware of current reporting guidelines for qualitative evidence synthesis.
- Making a start and deciding which method
- How (and how far) to search for studies
- How to decide if a study is good enough to include
- How to extract qualitative data
- Keeping a database and what to record in it
- How to analyse qualitative data (demonstration of Nvivo software is included)
- Reporting guidelines for qualitative evidence synthesis.
It will consist of pre-recorded material and tasks on Canvas that you will need to work through before two-hour long interactive sessions, held on two separate days. Please refer to 'This course has pre-work' below for further detail.
You will need to complete short tasks before each interactive session. All of the necessary documents will be made available once you book onto the course. Instructions for each task will also be available.
Pre-course work (split between the two sessions):
• a series of short (5-10 minute) films to watch prior to the course (approximately one hour in total)
• two short preparatory tasks (less than half an hour each)
• 2 x 2-hour sessions on Microsoft Teams, which will include some interactive work in breakout rooms.
• Preparatory work will be available on Canvas at least 2 weeks before the first session
NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS
HOW IT WILL WORK
For the interactive session, you will be sent the link in the automated communication along with joining instructions. To join the session, you can click on the link 15 minutes before the session. Once the tutor has started the session they will tell you what to do.
ATTENDANCE CERTIFICATE ON SURVEY COMPLETION
It is now a requirement that you complete the three short questions in the survey you receive after attending the course. Once you have submitted the survey, you will be sent an email with a link to your attendance certificate. This is to ensure we receive the feedback we need to evaluate and improve our courses. Survey results are downloaded and stored anonymously.
Where there is no cost in the shopping trolley, no deposit is required. However, two or more non-attendances or late cancellations without good reason will be logged and may mean you cannot attend any further MSD training that term. Please refer to our Terms and Conditions for further information