First three months
As set out in the Code of Practice, all research staff should have a discussion with your line manager within the first three-six months in post to talk through your aspirations and anticipated career trajectory.
In preparation for this, and so that you are ready to ask questions about anything that isn’t clear, ask yourself:
- What are the terms of your contract?
- Do you have a probationary period? If so, how will this be managed?
- What are you expected to deliver as part of the project you’re working on?
- What do you want to achieve beyond this role?
- What tools, training or support do you need to help you, either now or in the future?