Major Educator Awards (funded)
These awards are made to individuals or teams who have made an outstanding contribution to the development of education and/or leadership in education and/or other educational initiatives, within the Medical Sciences Division or at institutional level. These awards draw special attention from the Division and the University to achievement at the highest level for a discrete development or innovation (which will normally have taken a number of years to realise).
In considering nominations for Major Educator Awards, the Selection Panel will look in particular for evidence of some or all of the following:
- Achievement at the highest level for a discrete development or innovation (which will normally have taken a number of years to realise)
- The development/innovation has had a substantial impact on students’ education and development (for example, as evidenced by student results/outcomes and by student feedback)
- The development/innovation has been informed and refined through the use of evaluative evidence such as student feedback and outcomes
- Good practice developed as part of the development/innovation has been shared with relevant colleagues at Oxford, and potentially more widely through collaborations/ publications/ conference presentations
Please also read the section on ‘Evidence taken into account in considering nominations for Personal awards’ on the Further Details page.
Major Educator Awardees receive an associated financial reward: a single lump sum. This is for personal use without constraints: this may be used to augment salary (subject to tax and NI contributions); to fund the development of a course or some aspect of teaching such as learning materials; or to pay for the substitution of some aspect of the recipient’s duties, to permit a period of special leave for travel or other reasons. The sum may be split between personal and professional/departmental use. This year’s sum is yet to be agreed, but previous awards have been in the region of £3,500.
Read an interview with the 2019 Major Educator awardee.
- Nominees must hold a contract of employment with the Collegiate University.
- Previous recipients of an award in this category (or a funded award prior to the introduction of this category in 2008) would not normally be eligible to be re-nominated for another Major Educator award.
- Major Educator awardees can be considered subsequently for another type of Personal Award, if the new award is for something distinctly different from the initiative they received their Major Educator award for.
- Previous recipients of other types of Personal or Project Awards may be nominated for a Major Educator award.
- Staff are strongly advised to contact Anne-Marie Honeyman-Tafa if they have queries regarding an individual’s eligibility for an award.
HOW TO NOMINATE
The 2023 Major Educator Awards are now closed for nominations. Find out more about the 2021 winners on the 2021 Awardees page.
- The nominee(s) must consent to being put forward for an award
- Self-nominations will not be accepted for Major Educator Awards