Excellent Teacher Awards (unfunded)
These awards formally recognise sustained excellent contributions to teaching (including teaching students how to do research) made by individual members of the Collegiate University and NHS staff within the Division.
In considering nominations for Excellent Teacher Awards, the Selection Panel will look in particular for evidence of some or all of the following:
- The individual has made a sustained exceptional contribution to teaching over several years. This contribution might be evidenced through student feedback and student results/outcomes
- The individual provides teaching which is engaging and informative, promoting students’ interest in their subject area. Excellent supporting materials (e.g. lecture handouts) are provided as appropriate
- The individual is approachable for students and responsive to student questions
- The individual may use teaching methods which encourage students in active learning, for example the use of quizzes, discussions or working with peers
- The individual progressively refines their teaching taking into account evaluative evidence such as student feedback
- The individual may have made an innovative contribution to teaching, for example through the development of new and innovative teaching provision, or by refreshing existing teaching provision in an innovative way
- The individual may have supported colleagues in improving their teaching/ in adopting new ways of teaching
Please also read the section on ‘Evidence taken into account in considering nominations for Personal awards’ on the Further Details page.
ELIGIBILITY AND PROCESS
- Collegiate University and NHS staff involved in teaching of Oxford students within the Division are eligible for this category of award.
- Previous recipients of Excellent Teacher awards can be considered for a Major Educator Award.
- Previous recipients of Excellent Teacher awards can be re-nominated for the Excellent Teacher Award in subsequent rounds, provided that the nomination is for a new excellent contribution to teaching made by the individual since the previous award.
- Staff are advised to contact Anne-Marie Honeyman-Tafa if they have queries about the assessment process for Excellent Teacher awards.
HOW TO NOMINATE
The 2023 Excellent Teacher Awards are now open for nominations until 26 May 2023.
- the nominee(s) must consent to being put forward for an award.
- self-nominations will not be accepted for Excellent Teacher Awards.