The Public Affairs Directorate
The Public Affairs Directorate (PAD), based at University Offices in Wellington Square, is responsible for developing public understanding of the aims and activities of the collegiate University. It provides public affairs and communications advice and services to colleagues across the collegiate University.
Useful PAD resources and support
The PAD website has information and advice on a range of subjects, including media coverage, websites, social media, design and print, branding, images, video, community engagement, government relations, events and more. Here are some specific resources and services that may be useful.
News & Information Office
- Media Relations Manager – Chris McIntyre is the member of the News & Information team who works with MSD. Talk to Chris if you need advice on media issues, or if you have been or are about to be in the mainstream media, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Daily New Alert – a daily email round-up of mentions of the University in the media. Email email@example.com to subscribe.
- “News from other websites” webpage – to have your news listed, send a link and details to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Design & Publications Office
- Branding toolkit – includes branding advice, style guide, downloadable logos etc. Please read the guidelines carefully before embarking on any new communications, internal or external.
- Conference items – branded University stationery for meetings and events, such as pens, folders and notepads, are available at cost.
- Design Studio – creative and cost-effective design for a range of materials like posters, leaflets, newsletters, flyers and brochures, as well as a print-buying services.
- University image library – more than 9,000 images of the University and the city of Oxford available at a 50% discount to departments and colleges. Also an easy and secure way for departments and colleges to store, access and sell their own images.
- Digital style guide – outlines the core elements used in designing the main University website, which you can use in your own web design.
- University Twitter/Facebook pages – submit content for the University’s central social media channels by emailing email@example.com.
- Digital content calendar – shows everything that’s coming up on the central University’s digital channels. Also lists external events that could be used as hooks. You can use content listed here on your own channels, as well as having your own items added to the calendar.
- Event management toolkit – practical advice on managing and promoting events, including templates to download.
- Event equipment and materials – the Events Office lends out event items like University branded table cloths and radios (subject to availability). You can also purchase invitation cards and branded gift bags.
Training and networking
- Communications Officers Network – a good way to make contact with others working in communications across the collegiate University and share knowledge, ideas and resources. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to join.
- PAD workshops – a series of free lunchtime training sessions on a range of communications topics.
- Social Media Network – free lunchtime sessions, run each quarter, on social media-related topics and a Facebook groups for sharing information and ideas. Contact email@example.com if you’re interested.