Medical Sciences Divisional Office
University of Oxford
Level 3, John Radcliffe Hospital
Oxford OX3 9DU
Head of Research Strategy and Funding Team (interim)
I am currently covering this role for an interim period. I am responsible for strategic planning in relation to research funding, research facilitation, research policy and administration for the Medical Sciences Division, including:
- Research strategy development, including research themes and research partnerships
- Research policy and implementation
- Major external research funding bids
- Overseeing internal research funding
- Research funder relationships
- Research assessment including the Research Excellence Framework
- Strategic planning for other research related areas, including innovation, knowledge exchange, impact, public and policy engagement, open access
- Providing support for the Deputy Head (Research) and Deputy Head (Innovation)
Through managing bids for strategic research initiatives, I help to articulate to funders our vision for research and to ensure internal and external stakeholders are fully involved so that funded projects can proceed successfully and sustainably.
I represent the Division as a member or officer on divisional and university committees.
As Strategic Bids Manager and REF Project Manager, I had responsibility for coordinating the submission the Research Excellence Framework (REF) in the Medical Sciences Division. This included advising and supporting the Deputy Head of Division (Research) and others in the Divisional academic leadership team, Heads of Department and professional staff. I managed the preparation of strategy, narrative and data for our REF2021 submissions and the processes within the Division required to deliver them, working closely with colleagues in Departments and the wider University.
Prior to joining Medical Sciences in 2019, I was the Head of Research Grants Administration in the Department of Physics, overseeing applications, awards and contracts. I worked on all aspects of the Department’s submission to REF2014 including developing and writing impact case studies and narrative on research environment.