Oxford is a fantastic place to pursue graduate studies in the Medical Sciences with exceptional scientists, cutting-edge facilities and generous funding packages for students from all countries. The range of research is remarkable and there are many options available for graduate students. You can find details of the options available by searching the Research Themes.
Why do a PhD (D.Phil.) at Oxford?
- Oxford continues to be rated the top University in the world in medical and health-related sciences
- Most of our students receive full funding, covering fees and living expenses.
- Our PhDs programmes are shorter; almost all our students complete within 4 years, many within 3. This is possible because you are not required to do course work in the first 2 years. Instead, you will only do courses that are necessary for your research and complete these courses alongside your research.
- You are not required to do any teaching, even if you receive full funding. Those who want to teach are able to and receive training for this.
- Another major difference is our flexibility. Oxford offers taught M.Sc. programmes and two types of PhD (D.Phil.) programme to match the different varying needs of graduate students. Students on all programmes have access to a wide range of optional courses.