This research-based DPhil programme, based in the Radcliffe Department of Medicine, is aimed at basic scientists and clinicians with an interest in pursuing research in the cardiovascular field.
The Department’s flagship funding programme is the. This programme provides a number of fully funded four year scholarships for basic science students. The programme is open to outstanding candidates of any nationality, without restriction. *If you are interested in pursuing a DPhil in Cardiovascular Medicine and wish to be considered for the funded you should apply for a DPhil in Medical Sciences (Programme Code: 001956 Ref. 13MEDSCI01). If your application is successful, your registration will be changed to a DPhil in Cardiovascular Medicine. Please read the guidance on how to apply for the RDM Scholars Programme before submitting your application.
- Molecular genetics and molecular biology of heart muscle disease
- The role of tetrahydrobiopterin in the regulation of endothelial nitric oxide synthase activity in vascular disease
- Genetic and molecular mechanisms in heart development
- Heart failure, atrial fibrillation and calcium signalling: role of nitric oxide and reactive oxygen species
- The role of nitric oxide and superoxide in the early endothelial dysfunction characteristic of pre-atherosclerotic states
- Development and application of Magnetic Resonance Imaging and spectroscopy to characterise atherosclerosis and cardiovascular disease
- The molecular basis and population genetics of common human inherited cardiovascular traits and diseases
- Cardiovascular imaging and early development of cardiovascular disease
- The role of cardiac energetics in the pathogenesis of heart failure
- High throughput screening to identify key genetic pathways that mediate cardiovascular disease and identification and validation of novel druggable targets within these pathways.
You should contact you chosen supervisor(s) to discuss potential projects before you submit an application.
To be considered for funding for this programme or the RDM Scholars Programme it is essential that you submit a complete application by Friday 4 January 2013.
Further details about this programme and how to apply are available at the Related Links.